Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Good afternoon preppers, I was thinking of how to start this segment on pre-made bunkers and, I have decided to change gears and look at some homemade bunkers first. So, here we go. If you look to the right side of my blog, I have four videos from youtube on using shipping containers for beginning bunker structures.



I want to start with video two, second from the top. ( I suggest if you are interested in this topic you should watch the videos.), This video is from a great site that shows how to make primary homes, second vacation home, hunting cabin or straight up bug out location from shipping containers. http://shipping-container-homes.org/  I love this site, it has given me so many good ideas and plans, however, I do not agree with the way the spokesperson gives reasons to not use shipping containers for underground bunkers. He uses examples of rust, structural weakness under the load of earth encapsulating it. These are ligament concerns, but that doesn't mean it cannot be done. I would say to stop the chance of the container rusting over the years; you would paint the container with a rust proof paint, or even a rhino liner type material. I understand you could have a problem with treating the bottom, but remember that sea going containers are already treated for corrosion. To extend the life of the bottom of the container,  lay  around six inches of pee gravel down for the base of the container. This should give sufficient drainage under the bunker to keep it from standing in water. As far as for the structure its self, I do agree that the top and sides are too week to handle the pressure of the earth that will be pressing against them. But, there are ways to correct this inferiority in design. You could weld structural supports on the out sides of the container to build up the strength of the container, or build a rib type type structure, which you will see in the first video, on the inside of the container to help compensate for the load, on the sides of the container. The last idea, in the third video, is to dig the hole, lay down the pee gravel, set the untreated container in the hole, then build a concrete roof over the whole thing cocooning the container in the ground, this is a great idea,  but only ideal for a one container setup. These would be the answers I would use to counter my friend in video two.

In the first video, which is the multiple containers welded together  then buried, is one of my favorite designs. The bunker builder did good welding the three containers together, and it seems that they did paint the outside of the structure, but I am not sure about the bottom, it didn't seem that they laid down any base material to keep water from pooling under the structure. As far as connecting the containers together, I think the builder should have welded  the passageways bulkheads together and welded any gap or hole no mater how small, before putting the dirt over the structure. Since they did not do this, they had to come back and put a ton of great stuff and caulking, to hopefully stop leaks. I like the way that they beefed up the walls inside the structure, in order to keep the walls and ceiling from caving in. This also gives them places for electric receptacles, hang lights and such. I also give them thumbs up on having the escape tunnel in the back of the bunker. This will allow them to  have an alternative exit to evacuate  in case of a fire in the bunker, or if attacked at the main entrance. One person can exit through the escape tunnel, surprise the attacker and capture him, or if need kill him or them. The only thing that I did not see, was how they plan to camouflage the main entrance. But over all I was impressed with the creativity of the builder, it gave me great ideas.

The third video was a ingenious idea, dig the hole, lay down the bed of pee gravel, set a 20 ft. container in it, build concrete steps down to it, then build a ceiling over the whole thing and pour concrete over that. Once set come back and plumb and wire the whole container. Later put dirt on top of the slab then  plant grass and shrubs. I know I simplified the building of this container, but if you watched the video, you will get the gist of the total project. The only defence I would make is, I would have made the hole bigger and longer in order to have easy access to all sides of the structure and I would have like to see a well dropped into the hole with a hand pump installed. But over all this build was a very cool one.
The fourth and final video is about a container home above ground. It can be used as a good bol, it is an easy way to get off of the grid fairly cheap. The guy just built a peer and beam type of foundation, which makes it easy to run plumbing or wiring under it. But, it would allow cold air under the structure in the winter which will keep it colder inside unless you were to insulate the floors, walls and ceiling. He didn't have to do this though because he is in Australia.

I think I have addressed some of the pros and cons of using shipping containers as in ground bunkers and and a short spot on above the ground use. I like them all;  in the ground you get better insulation, there is less need for heating or cooling, because the temperature will stay some what constant from around 80deg to 65deg in the summer from 65deg to 45deg in the dead of winter and great in between. You also have the ability to be off the grid and be hidden from site. The above the ground will have to be cooled and heated during the year, but they can be set up quick and you can have as many designs as you would like. And remember that they are designed to be stacked, so you could build a full in closed perimeter and then build up by stacking, while in the middle of the structure, you can have a court yard with a garden area and well house, and be off the grid, the down side they can see you. Still not a bad idea and easier than burying the whole thing. It is up to you.


2 comments:

  1. Check out what John Wells of the Field Lab did with his shipping containers :) (http://thefieldlab.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, that guy is my hero. I love poeple that invent new ways to live better. I plan on covering other types of structures later. Like I have said before, I am new to the bloging, but I have got many friends looking into what is going on here and I will direct them to field lab. Thanks again. Johnathan from Texas

    ReplyDelete